Oats (Avena sativa)
The oat (Avena sativa), sometimes called the common oat, is a species of cereal grain grown for its seed, which is known by the same name (usually in the plural). While oats are suitable for human consumption as oatmeal and oat milk, one of the most common uses is as livestock feed. Oats are commonly associated with lower blood cholesterol when consumed regularly.
Oats contain diverse essential nutrients. In a 100-gram (3.5-ounce) serving, oats provide 1,630 kilojoules (389 kilocalories) of food energy and are a rich source of protein, dietary fiber, several B vitamins and numerous dietary minerals, especially manganese. Oats are 66% carbohydrates, including 11% dietary fiber and 4% beta-glucans, 7% fat and 17% protein.
You will find Powdered Oats in Mother Jai’s Mineral Milk Bath. Find yours below.
Mineral Milk – 16oz Bag
Nourishing mineral infused milk that moisturizes and heals skin without chemicals, artificial fragrances, or petroleum.
Here are 5 ways you can use oatmeal for your skin and beauty needs:
For Acne: A bowl of oatmeal may do wonders for your acne. Oatmeal contains zinc that is said to reduce inflammation and kill the acne-causing bacterial action. It also helps to soak up the excess oil from the skin that may trigger acne.
For Dry Skin: they can remove the dead skin cells and act as a natural moisturizer. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to keep the skin exfoliated. Oatmeal’s mild pH can help to cool down the inflamed skin due to rash or infection.
For Blackheads: it is full of chemical compounds called saponins, which are known for their natural cleansing activity. Black heads are nothing but clogged pores on your skin. Oatmeal helps to unclog the pores and gives you a smooth and clear skin.
Relieves Itching: Itching is mostly caused due to inflammation under the skin or when the skin’s pH level is out of balance. Oatmeal helps to normalize your skin’s pH levels, which helps to restore your skin’s natural pH and soften the dry skin. It also protects the skin from external irritants, by lending moisture to the skin.
Exfoliate: Now you know that oatmeal’s saponins have intense exfoliating properties. It helps in removal of the oldest dead skin cells on the skin’s outermost surface, and gives you a fresh, glowing and youthful skin.
Preparing and Using Oats for Skin Care
Organic Steel Cut Oats are best for making your own colloidal oats.
- ½ cup to 1 cup oats – ground or powdered until very fine. You can purchase oat flour.
- Equal amount of boiling water
- Mix well (careful it’s HOT!)
- Allow to cool before using or mixing in anything else.
Next, mix in a few tablespoons of other ingredients for your personal use.
- Tomato or orange juice for acidic removal of dead skin cells
- Plain yogurt for dry and irritated skin.
- Buttermilk for clarifying and lightening.
- Sunflower oil for moisture and cleansing.
- Coffee grounds for reducing wrinkles and brighten.
- 10 drops of Geranium essential oil tones and plumps skin.
- 10 drops of Tea tree essential oil kills bacteria and closes pores.
- 10 drops of Rose otto (5% dilution) strengthens collagen and brings a rosy glow.
- Always avoid your eyes when using essential oils.
Apply to your face in a thick layer.
- Using upward circular motions
- Allow to sit for 10-30 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
- Gently pat dry
- Apply moisturizer
Mother Jai’s Face Serum is a wonderfully light moisturizer blended from oils grown in America. Find yours below.
Face Serum – 2oz Bottle
Moisturize, tone and tighten skin naturally.