Receiving a medical diagnosis can be difficult, especially if it’s a condition that will continue to cause chronic pain. While the news may be a shock, the best thing you can do is create a structured plan for yourself that includes relaxation techniques and a safe pain-management system.
Overcoming the shock
The initial shock can take time to wear off.
- It can be scary to learn about medical conditions, so be patient as you absorb the news.
- Be sure to lean on your family and friends for emotional support to help you cope.
- Stick to your routines to help ground you and take your mind off your diagnosis and pain.
Safely managing your symptoms
Learn healthy ways to cope with pain.
- You can reduce inflammation through proper nutrition, so experiment with new recipes that can help ease your pain.
- If you need help creating a healthy eating plan, hire a nutritionist who can help you get on the right path.
- Start a meditation practice to help reduce pain intensity and increase clarity.
- Incorporate exercise into your routine to help release natural endorphins and build muscle.
Coping with stress
Use natural methods to relieve tension and pain.
- Enjoy the natural aromas of essential oils by lighting a Blended Candle or spraying an Aroma Spray from Mother Jai.
- Cut tension and relax at home by cleaning, decluttering, and opening your windows.
- Practice yoga and meditation to relieve stiffness and improve blood flow. Find options on YouTube.
- Take up a new hobby to help occupy your mind and provide a distraction from worrying thoughts.
Find your community
You’re not alone: find others who are also dealing with a tough diagnosis.
- To feel less alone in your diagnosis, find other people who share your condition.
- There are many online resources for finding support groups, including Reddit and Facebook.
- Support groups can help you work through the emotional and physical challenges of your condition and connect with people who can relate to what you’re going through.
While a medical condition can feel scary and unmanageable at first, following the above advice will help you cope—and thrive. Stick to a routine to stay grounded, take up meditation to reduce tension and pain, and find support groups that can help you through the challenges of your condition.
Mother Jai offers wellness education, services, worksheets, and hygiene products to help you achieve the holistic wellness you desire.